Kamala Beach-more on food


                                        Chicken and cashew nuts with vegetables and sauce
                                                                   Barebecue fish

If someone had told me three years ago that I would be spending half my time in Thailand I would have scoffed at the idea, but life has a way of changing, of steering you in a direction that you hadn’t foreseen. And this of course is the setting for my non-fiction book that I am now working on. I probably used the wrong word before in saying it was finished, what I should have said was that the first draft had been completed.

On starting the proof reading and editing I found that I needed to weld the chapters together in a way that the reader could follow the story because I use interludes of other forays, other travelling destinations within Thailand, like Udon Thani and Kamala Beach. I suppose one could say it is written in a nonlinear sequence. Each chapter still demands that there be a connection.

I’m still in Kamala Beach. Before I spoke of the food here and I would like to say more for it is a demanding subject and is often at the forefront of conversation. I am a little averse to restaurants that have been westernised because it has been, in my experience, that they are overpriced and the food is not cooked as it should be. This is not to say there aren’t any good westernised restaurants here, because there is, but expect to pay more. And if you pay more, then, it has to be spot on.

It’s all about exploring the area where you are staying and trying out the various options and the various cuisine. In Kamala Beach I have several places I visit. The Baan Natacha on the beach has a wonderful setting, with a western breakfast and snack size food. The Kokosnuss, a German owned restaurant near my hotel has a very good range of foods. The Aussie Pub has only western meals and I often have a meal there when I want something familiar. There is a small Isaan (north eastern Thailand) style food restaurant beside the canal opposite the post office that has delicious Thai food at a good price. The Name escapes me now.

On Wednesday I fly to Khon Kaen in north eastern Thailand, another wonderful place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Thailand

Corona virus heartache